Red Kidney Bean Salad with a Walnut Dressing
- 450 grams / 16 ounces can of red kidney beans
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup shelled walnuts
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon olive, walnut or vegetable oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely sliced spring onion
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh coriander
- Drain the beans and put them in a small bowl. Save the liquid. You need a food processor or blender to make the dressing. If you have neither, pound the garlic and walnuts in a mortar and add the vinegar, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Mix. Slowly add the oil beating well with a fork. Otherwise, start your machine and put it in the garlic. When it is minced, put in the walnuts. When they have turned crumb-like, add the vinegar. Slowly add 4 tablespoons of the reserved bean liquid. Blend until you have a paste. You may have to stop the machine and scrape down a few times. Now add the oil in a steady stream and then the salt, pepper, and cayenne. Blend until you have a smooth dressing.
- Pour the dressing over the beans. Add half the spring onion and half the coriander mix and taste for seasonings.
- You may cover and chill the salad until you are ready to eat; it improves if allowed to sit for a few hours. Serve garnished with remaining spring onions and coriander.