Carrots and Beans with a Japanese Bean Curd Dressing
- 2x225 grams / 8 ounces tofu cakes
- 340 grams / 12 ounces green beans
- 340 grams / 12 ounces carrots
- 4 tablespoon roasted and ground sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dashi or water
- Put the tofu cakes into a small pot and cover with water (about 3 cups). Bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer very gently for 10 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, prepare the vegetables. French cut the beans into 5 centimeter/2 inch long diagonal strips. Trim, peel and cut the carrots into very fine 5 centimeters/2-inch julienne strips.
- Put the drained bean curd, the roasted and ground sesame seeds, sugar, mirin, salt, soy sauce, and dashi into the container of a food processor or blender. Blend until you have a paste. Set aside.
- Bring two pots of water to a boil. When boiling, drop the 'frenched' beans into one pot and the carrots into the other. Drain the carrots after 2-3 minutes. They should be cooked through but still crunchy. Drain the beans after about 4 minutes. They should be cooked through but still, have a bite to them.
- Put the carrots and beans in a bowl, add the dressing and mix well. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature.