10 Foods that Slow Down the Aging Process
These are exactly the products from the nearest store that anyone can afford. And all of them are delicious.
- The bad news: time cannot be stopped.
- Good: its effect on the body can be slowed down by eating properly.
Pumpkin seeds are rich in zinc, tryptophan and polyunsaturated fatty acids. They improve skin elasticity and promote wound healing. Pumpkin seeds also contain antioxidants — carotenoids and vitamin E — which can help avoid heart disease and lower cholesterol.
Zinc contained in seeds is involved in many processes in our bodies. It protects against the harmful effects of ultraviolet radiation, fights wrinkles, suppresses free radicals, and also has an anti-inflammatory effect. Zinc deficiency can occur in the form of acne, eczema, hair loss, and white spots on the nails.
Among other things, pumpkin seeds help to avoid prostate diseases and improve male fertility. And tryptophan in their composition helps us sleep better. Sleep is, as you know, the main guardian of beauty and longevity.
- Dosage: It is recommended to use 23 to 42 g of pumpkin seeds per day. So three tablespoons or one handful a day is enough.
There are a lot of lycopene and carotenoids in tomatoes. It is lycopene that gives tomatoes red color, and also protects the plant from too-bright sun. This substance is also useful for people because it protects the skin from sunburn.
In principle, lycopene can also be obtained from raw tomatoes. But best of all, this substance is absorbed after short heat treatment. Homemade tomato sauce or pasteurized juice from tomatoes is suitable.
Lack of lycopene and beta-carotene increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes. So tomatoes, whether raw or cooked, as well as tomato juice will help reduce the likelihood of heart disease. The lycopene still contained in tomatoes reduces the level of cholesterol in the blood and strengthens the blood vessels.
- Dosage: Studies show that ideally, you should absorb about 22 mg of lycopene per day. This amount is contained in two tablespoons of tomato sauce (not to be confused with purchased ketchup, where a lot of salt and other harmful substances) or one glass of tomato juice.
These fish varieties are rich in omega-3 fatty acids and the natural nutrient dimethylaminoethanol (DMAE). Studies confirm that a diet that contains oily fish helps prevent the appearance of wrinkles and helps maintain the beauty of your skin. The fact is that omega-3s have anti-inflammatory properties and improve the condition of the skin, nails, and hair. And these acids are essential for bone health.
DMAE is a compound that is present in oily fish and is produced by our brain. It affects memory and mood. Its lack can lead to attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), Alzheimer's disease, dementia, depression.
- Dosage: It is recommended to eat a portion of oily fish (140 g) three times a week. Even canned fish is suitable if it is in a good quality oil.
Cocoa and chocolate contain flavonoids of a special group (flavonols). They have anti-inflammatory effects and fight free radicals that lead to premature aging. One study found that cocoa and dark chocolate, with their polyphenols and flavonols, have more antioxidant activity than many other tested foods, including blueberries and acai berries.
In addition, cocoa activates the production of serotonin, which makes us happy. That is why Bridget Jones leaned on chocolate during times of failures on the love front.
It’s best to buy good quality cocoa powder and sprinkle porridge and desserts, for example. Or choose chocolate with a cocoa content of at least 70–85%. You can also buy cocoa beans themselves, grind in a coffee grinder and prepare sweets.
- Dosage: Researchers recommend eating up to 40 grams of chocolate with 80 percent cocoa per day.
It is rich in flavonoids, vitamin E, L-arginine, polyunsaturated fatty acids, magnesium. It also has a good quality of vegetable fats and antioxidants we need. Therefore, it is better to eat unpeeled almonds.
Magnesium has a positive effect on blood vessels. And almonds reduce the harm that smoking causes to the body. And finally, it increases the libido of men.
- Dosage: Australian nutritionists concluded that the optimal serving is up to 20 almonds per day. You can also (if desired) apply almond oil to the body.
Parsley has a lot of myristicin, vitamin C, carotenoids, chlorophyll. It has an anti-inflammatory effect and contains a lot of antioxidants. It cleanses the blood and promotes the production of glutathione, which is the main key to the youth of the body. In addition, parsley helps get rid of edema and protects against pathogenic bacteria.
- Dosage: One large handful (30–40 g) three times a week is recommended. The easiest way to eat is green smoothies and salads with parsley.
Rich in vitamin C, antioxidants, lemon oil, flavonoids, citric and other plant acids.
All at least once, but heard that this citrus helps with colds. Lemon juice, rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, really strengthens the immune system. And, oddly enough, it also reduces the acidification of the body! And this, in turn, helps us eliminate toxins and avoid kidney diseases.
These bright fruits will help out with iron deficiency. By themselves, they contain a small amount, but vitamin C and citric acid improve the absorption of this substance from other foods. Also, their peel will help to avoid skin cancer. And vitamin C in lemons is essential for the prevention of heart disease.
- Dosage: Juice of one lemon contains about 18.6 mg of vitamin C. And the recommended daily intake for adults is from 65 to 90 mg. So drink a couple of glasses of water with a slice of lemon per day. And zest can be added to ready-made dishes such as salads, risottos, pasta, and other hot dishes.
Ginger contains cineole, citral, and gingerol. And, in addition to excellent taste, it also has antibacterial properties. Therefore, it is especially useful when traveling to uncharted countries in Asia and Africa. And indeed in all travels. Ginger root also helps eliminate existing inflammation and heals wounds (when taken orally!).
In addition, ginger is useful for nausea and motion sickness. It also improves blood circulation, digestion and the absorption of other beneficial substances from any food and helps to supply oxygen to the brain and skin. And finally, ginger reduces muscle soreness after exertion — note athletes.
- Dosage: Up to 4 g per day, but not more. You can use it in different ways: add to tea, salads, sauces for Asian cuisine, smoothies... Greasy skin can be massaged with slices of ginger root, but you have to rinse the juice with water.
Beets are rich in water-soluble fiber, folic acid, potassium, choline, hyaluronic acid, carotenoids.
Due to the high content of water-soluble fiber, it helps to remove toxins and free radicals from the body. It improves digestion and prevents bowel disease. Beetroot juice increases muscle performance.
- Dosage: It is recommended to consume from 140 to 250 ml of beet juice per day. In addition, you can make salads from fresh and boiled beets and borsch. But do not eat only beets: its excess leads to problems with the kidneys.
Butter contains vitamins A, D, E, CLA (linoleic acid) and healthy fats of all kinds. They have an anti-inflammatory effect and help our immune system. Oil has a beneficial effect on metabolism and promotes better bowel function. CLA helps build muscle and prevents heart disease. It also participates in the absorption of calcium.
But the last two properties are lost during pasteurization. Therefore, try to find butter from unpasteurized milk. This refers to organic/bio-oil obtained from the milk of cows that walked in the wild and plucked grass. If these are exhausted industrial animals, then the chemical composition of their milk is significantly different from the desired one.
- Dosage: No more than 250 g per week. Abuse of oil leads to an increase in cholesterol.